Re: Mathematica: Assistance requested.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59183] Re: Mathematica: Assistance requested.
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 01:04:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

C. Frangos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to learn Mathematica running under suse linux version 7.2. Any
> assistance with the following would be much appreciated:
>
> (1) How do I start Mathematica from the linux command line so as to get only
> the plain text command line interface ?
>
> (2) I have a function defined in a file ftest.m. I am reading this in with
> the command: <<ftest.m However, this function prints locally defined
> variables with dollar signs followed by a number. It's not clear how to get
> rid of this ?
>
> (3) How can one use contexts/packages/etc to get rid of the problem in (2)
> above ? How is the package read in ? Are there some advantages in using
> packages (even for one function) compared to simply defining a function in a
> .m file ?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Constantine Frangos.

Hi,

I am not a Linux user, but in answer to point 2, you should put the file
name in quotes - <<"ftest.m".

My general advice would be to use Mathematica the normal way using
notebooks until you can make an informed decision about using the plain
text interface. In general, I too like plain text interfaces, but
nothing would persuade me to abandon the notebook interface for normal use.

Start with a notebook and some of the simpler examples from the book.
Try them out and experiment with modifying them. Forget about creating
packages until you have worked with Mathematica for some time.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk