Re: "Cascaded sums"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59220] Re: "Cascaded sums"?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:42:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
it is called Horner schema in your example with
respect to a.
And it is used to optimize the evaluation of
polynomials by a computer. The standard package
<<Algebra`Horner`

implement it. Its advantage is, that it reduce the
numerical errors because a*x^4+b*x^3+c*x^2+d*x+e
will add a x^4*a (that may be large compared with
b*x^3 or c*x^2, while

e + x (d + x (c + x (b + a x)))

avoid this problem and needs less multiplications
(on the most CPU's more expansive than an
addition).

Regards

  Jens

"AES" <siegman at stanford.edu> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dckb96$o4j$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|A Mathematic calculation is yielding a result of
the form

|   (x^4 + a (x^3 + a (x^2 + a ( x + a ))))
|
| for the case n = 4, and analogous results for
larger n; and Mathematica
| seems to be able to do some interesting
simplifications and factoring of
| these results.
|
| I'm sure I learned about this form in a math
class somewhere along the
| line, but this was 50+ years ago.  Could some
kind soul remind me of
| what this form is called, and maybe some of its
interesting properties?