Re: Manipulating a matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59256] Re: [mg59212] Manipulating a matrix
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Wissam,

mat = Table[a[i, j], {i, 5}, {j, 5}];

Part[mat, Range[2, 5], Range[2, 5]]
{{a[2, 2], a[2, 3], a[2, 4], a[2, 5]},
 {a[3, 2], a[3, 3], a[3, 4],  a[3, 5]},
 {a[4, 2], a[4, 3], a[4, 4], a[4, 5]},
 {a[5, 2], a[5, 3], a[5, 4], a[5, 5]}}

To eliminate the 3rd row and the 3rd column...

Part[mat, {1, 2, 4, 5}, {1, 2, 4, 5}]
{{a[1, 1], a[1, 2], a[1, 4], a[1, 5]},
 {a[2, 1], a[2, 2], a[2, 4], a[2, 5]},
 {a[4, 1], a[4, 2], a[4, 4], a[4, 5]},
 {a[5, 1], a[5, 2], a[5, 4], a[5, 5]}}

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Ramier [mailto:wissam2 at online.fr]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello everyone,

I think that my question is rather simple and maybe I ought to go
deeper into Mathematica book:
I have a n x n matrix and I'd like to remove the first line and the
first column in order to get the (n-1)x(n-1) matrix with the entries
remaining. Is there a simple way to do that ?

Perhaps my question is really simple or idiot but I've never used
Mathematica before.

Thanks a lot,

Wissam