Re: Mathematica's CPU utilization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59278] Re: Mathematica's CPU utilization
  • From: Antti Penttilä <Antti.I.Penttila at helsinki.fi.removethis>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 02:08:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Phantom wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:31:34 +0000 (UTC), "Chris" <topher at csh.rit.edu> wrote:
>

>>You probably have two or more processors or a dual core processor or a
>>processor with hyperthreading wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
>

>   It is a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading technology (tm).  Is that the same thing as a dual
> core processor?  I guess that would explain it.

Hypertheading is not dual core, it just pretends to be dual core. That's why in Task Manager there is also two processors and graphs for them both. Mathkernel uses 100 % of the other (virtual) processor which is 50 % of the total capacity. Actually, since there is no real other core, Mathkernel uses all the CPU-time there is available. The CPU-usage numbers are a bit misleading with Hyperthreading processors.

   Antti Penttilä       Antti.I.Penttila at helsinki.fi.removethis