Default defaults?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59289] Default defaults?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 02:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

1)  I tried editing the Default style sheet, without making a backup
copy of same, and may have screwed it up.  Is there a way to restore the
default Default.nb notebook?

(E.g., by downloading a copy?  I don't seem to be able to get at
individual files on the Mathematica 5.1 install CD)

2)  There seem to be two copies of Default.nb notebook in my Mathematica
installation.  Why? -- and which one is the "real" Default.nb?

3)  The Format >> Style Sheet menu command also displays about 15 other
styles besides Default, such as "ArticleClassic" and "DemoText" among
others -- and they seem to function.

But, there are no "ArticleClassic.nb" or "DemoText.nb" notebooks to be
found in my current Mathematica installation . . . ????

4)  There's always a possibility I might want to do a clean
reinstallation of Mathematica to solve this (or other future) problems.
Looking ahead to this, the "Getting Started" booklet that came with v.
5.1 contains installation instructions, but no instructions for
uninstall, or reinstall -- and I know there are auxiliary files
scattered in other places on my HD.

It does say that if I install 5.1 over _previous_ versions, it will
_not_ remove auxiliary files from the earlier version.  Does this mean
if I reinstall it over itself, it will not remove the auxiliary files
from itself that the initial install seems to have distributed in
various places on my HD?