Re: Specifying path to a non standard package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59354] Re: Specifying path to a non standard package
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 03:46:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

a) what may the $Path variable do ? Defining the path where
   Mathematica searche for packages ?
b) on your remote computer you have a $PreferencesDirectory
   in the directory you have the rights to write and you just
   need to create in this directory an
   $PreferencesDirectory/AddOns/ExtraPackages/Utilities
   and place the package there.

Regards
  Jens

"Lee Newman" <leenewm at umich.edu> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dd1ikr$1cc$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Group,
|
| Situation
| -- I am using a package "SubscriptSymbols" in a
notebook, with the
| statement:
Needs["Utilities`SubscriptSymbols`"];

| -- This package is not standard with
mathematica, and I have the package
| file (SubscriptSymbols.m) sitting in the
directory
| D:\Apps\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\AddOns\ExtraPackages\Utilities
| where it seems to be found automatically by
Mathemetica when the Needs
| statement is executed.
|
| -- I want to run the notebook on a remote
computer, but I do not have
| the ability to put the SubscriptSymbols.m file
in the appropriate
| mathematica directory.  I must have the
SubscriptSymbols.m file in the
| same directory as the notebook that uses it.
|
| Question
| -- How can I load the package from a specified
working directory that is
| not part of the context paths known by
mathematica?   I've tried adding
| path info within the needs statement but that
does not work.