Re: GoTo between different cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59485] Re: [mg59430] GoTo between different cell
  • From: stephen layland <layland at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

and thus spake Ramiro dell'Erba [2005.08.09 @ 03:25]:

> Dear Mathematica Gurus,
> I have the following problem: working with repetitive operations I often
> use the Do expression. Unfortunately the number of lines inside the Do are
> growing (page and page) giving me a lot of notebook troubles (If I use
> different colour and font the cell stop to work!) and difficulties to
> follow the procedure in debugging phase (I need a lot of flags to check if
> all is going good).

There was a problem with the Mathematica 5 frontend and colored input
cells, so you're right: it's best to avoid them.  As for page-long Do
loops, you might want to learn functional programming.  Thinking like a
procedural programmer in Mathematica will more often than not cause you
pain.

> Therefore, also if it seems a quite prehistoric idea, I want to break my
> computation in many cells and to back N times to a certain cell to evaluate
> them, something like the GoTo function but between different cell (perhaps
> tagged).
> I know that sounds quite old but it is what I need.
It's possible to do with some FrontEnd functions, but I think it might
be easier in the long run for you to find a different method.  I know
it's hard for people to change their ways of coding, but you'll find
more success if you adapt your coding style to the language rather than
vice versa.

--
|        stephen layland         |