what does this parentheses mean?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59578] what does this parentheses mean?
  • From: "John Roberts" <jlr-d at jlr-d.cnc.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:10:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathematica 5.1 produced an output that I have never seen before from
Mathematica - it was an algebraic expression that contained a different
style of parentheses (I can't include the parentheses here because my
email does not have the font for it) The parentheses are unlike any that
I have seen before - they are like the regular parentheses (tall-style
parentheses that are straight in the middle and curved at the top and
bottom) that Mathematica uses in algebraic expressions, except the
straight middle part of the parentheses is heavier/bolder than the
curved parts at the top and bottom.

I presume that this type of parentheses has a special meaning, but I
can't find anything about it in the help browser or Mathematica book. If
this type of parentheses has a special meaning, can someone tell me what
it means?

Thanks in advance,

John