Re: Mathematical Modeling Problem II

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59576] Re: Mathematical Modeling Problem II
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/11/05 at 4:55 AM, Sycamor at gmail.com wrote:

>Hello.  I am a high school student working on a summer research
>project at a local university.  My task is to model a certain
>physical situations using Mathematica.  I am still ignorant of the
>programs profound, and not-so-profound secrets.  At the moment, I
>find myself unable to plot a vertical line.  How does one create a
>vertical line and show that line on the same axes as a set of data
>points?  Ideally, I would also like to keep the vertical scale the
>same.

>In my quest for a vertical line, I have tried using very steep
>curves, and using the ImplicitPlot package.  I expect I am missing
>something very obvious.

Here are a number of ways to add a vertical line

Plot[x^2, {x, -1, 1},
   Epilog -> {Red, Line[{{0.5, -0.05}, {0.5, 1.05}}]}];

Plot[x^2, {x, -1, 1}, GridLines -> {{0.5}, None}];

Show[Block[
    {$DisplayFunction = Identity},
    {Plot[x^2, {x, -1, 1}],
     ListPlot[{{0.5, -0.05}, {0.5, 1.05}},
      PlotJoined -> True, PlotStyle -> Red]}]];