Re: what does this parentheses mean?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59586] Re: what does this parentheses mean?
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 03:26:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

the parentheses from the Piecewise[] function look a bit
strange ... do you mean that ?
Regards
  Jens

"John Roberts" <jlr-d at jlr-d.cnc.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ddh9el$cep$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Mathematica 5.1 produced an output that I have
never seen before from
| Mathematica - it was an algebraic expression
that contained a different
| style of parentheses (I can't include the
parentheses here because my
| email does not have the font for it) The
parentheses are unlike any that
| I have seen before - they are like the regular
parentheses (tall-style
| parentheses that are straight in the middle and
curved at the top and
| bottom) that Mathematica uses in algebraic
expressions, except the
| straight middle part of the parentheses is
heavier/bolder than the
| curved parts at the top and bottom.
|
| I presume that this type of parentheses has a
special meaning, but I
| can't find anything about it in the help browser
or Mathematica book. If
| this type of parentheses has a special meaning,
can someone tell me what