Re: How to specify boundary conditions on all 4 sides of a plate for a steady state heat equation (PDE) using NDSolve? (Laplace equation)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59688] Re: How to specify boundary conditions on all 4 sides of a plate for a steady state heat equation (PDE) using NDSolve? (Laplace equation)
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:00:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu> wrote in message
news:dds9co$91c$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> This is a classic mathematical physics BVP. You should approach this
> problem
> in Mathematica, as you would by hand: use separation of variables,
> and then
> a fourier expansion to satisfy the boundary conditions.

Not if you want to use a numerical solvers such as NDSolve. That is
the whole idea of using NDSolve.

I know how to solve these by hand, and also by direct numerical
approach, I've solved my of these before and more advanced ones when I
took some courses at the Math dept at UC Berkeley one year ago, I was
just playing around to see if NDSolve can solve BVP and get the same
plots I got when I solved this problem by hand using sepration of
variables.

> There are many books
> that explain how to do this.

Yes, and my home library contains many fine books on PDE's. I like the
Satnley Farlow book, and Mary Boas has excellent chapter on the
subject, but a bit short on detailes. Also Richard Haberman applied
PDE's is nice, and if you want to see a nice new book with the cover
showing solutions of PDE's plots which I am sure was made using
Mathematica check Charles MacCluer's BVP and fourier expansions Dover
book, but it does not contain any Mathematica code. Another book which
uses a CAS system to solve PDE's is by David Betounes called PDE's for
computational science, lots of examples and plots.

Is there a short list somewhere which makes it clear what kind/class
of PDE's Mathematica can solve and not solve directly using NDSolve or
even DSolve? And why is it that NDSolve can solve an initial value PDE
and not BVP? I wonder if NDSolve will be able to solve a BVP PDE in
next version?