Re: How to specify boundary conditions on all 4 sides of a plate for a steady state heat equation (PDE) using NDSolve? (Laplace equation)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59726] Re: How to specify boundary conditions on all 4 sides of a plate for a steady state heat equation (PDE) using NDSolve? (Laplace equation)
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:31:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu> wrote in message
news:de13a8$8pb$1 at smc.vnet.net...

> There is a package on Math source that can be used to solve the
> Laplace
> equation at least. I have it working on my machine (Mathematica
> 5.0.0.0 Win XP).
>
> <http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/684>
>
> The package needs development, but is a useful tool. I have solved
> the
> Laplace equation with rectangular BC with this package. But beware,
> it has
> trouble with corners (but I believe that can be fixed) and small
> numerical
> errors can occur close to the boundaries.

Thanks for the link to this package. It gives me errors just when

http://12000.org/my_notes/LESolver/LESolver_errors.png

I also tried to execute the documentation notebook itself which
contains examples, parts of it worked, but many parts give many long
errors and it seems to have went in a loop, but may be I should have
waited a bit more.

Any way, since the package is dated 1996, I can understand. I am not
sure the original author is still at the email address shown there,
but I am sending them a link to the above now.

Nasser