Does ContourPlot behave correctly?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59822] Does ContourPlot behave correctly?
  • From: "Vladislav" <kazimir04 at yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I try two commands, the only difference being .9 in lieu of .5 in the
Contours option.

ContourPlot[Exp[-(x^2 +
    y^2)/2], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},
      Contours -> {.39, .5, .95},
      ColorFunction -> (
      GrayLevel[#1] &), PlotPoints -> 100];

ContourPlot[Exp[-(x^2 +
    y^2)/2], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},
      Contours -> {.39, .9, .95},
      ColorFunction -> (GrayLevel[#1] &),
      PlotPoints -> 100];

I obtain two different plots. The smallest circle is the same for the
two pictures, it is OK becouse it corresponds to the Contor at 0.95.

I expected to have 3 circle on the two pictures with the only
difference in the second circle at .9 or .5. In reallity, I have only
two circles in the first plot and three circles in the second one.
Moreover the external contour at .39 is not the same in the two
pictures.

Can anybody explain or justify this behavoir?

Vlad