LinearRegression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59873] LinearRegression
  • From: Tom De Vries <tom_toad at telus.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!   I am trying to construct a list of "flawed" data points that would
fit a linear model but have a specific Correlation Coefficient (r)

My feeble attempts can produce a nice set of somewhat messed up data for a
scatter plot...

For example

m = 0.5; b = 2.7;

fudge := Random[Real, {-1, 1}];

data = Table[{i, fudge  + (m i +  b)}, {i, 1, 15, 1}];

ListPlot[data, PlotStyle -> {Hue[0.78]}];

If I analyze the data....

<< Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics`

{xlist, ylist} = Transpose[data];

Correlation[xlist, ylist]

I can get  (r)

I've never studied Statistics, so I apologize if this is a really obvious
question.  Can I do the reverse?  Is is possible to produce a set of data
that would have a given r ?

The application of this is to produce sets of data as examples and questions
for simple linear regression in a high school math class.

Thank you for any help you can provide on this.

Sincerely,

Tom De Vries