Re: Re: FindRoot for the determinant of a matrix witha varying size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59899] Re: [mg59839] Re: FindRoot for the determinant of a matrix witha varying size
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:33:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> > The iterator in your definition of x produces more than one element
> > only in the case 1 <= x <= 3, furthermore iterators must be
> specified
> > over ranges of integers so a real valued x cannot be used.
>
> Not true! E.g.,
>
>   Table[i, {i, 3.5, 7.2, 0.3}]

Just because it _can_ be done, dosen't mean it should be.  Consider the
innocuous table

	Range[N[1/3, 16], N[9/3, 16], N[1/6, 16]]

Naively, we might expect this to return

	Range[1/3, 9/3, 1/6]

but it dosen't, at least not under 5.0.1 Windows.  Still, side effects like
these are relatively easy to spot, and hopefully, real-valued iterators
required by the OP fall into this category.

Regards,

Dave.