Re: Simplifying Conjugate[] with 5.2 Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59916] Re: Simplifying Conjugate[] with 5.2 Mac
  • From: sbjensen at midway.uchicago.edu (Steuard Jensen)
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Quoth "James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu> in article
<dehj8b$c26$1 at smc.vnet.net>:
> "Steuard Jensen" <sbjensen at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> > Quoth "James Gilmore" <james.gilmore at yale.edu>:
> >> Extend the definition to include purely complex variables:
> >> ConjugateVariables[z_] := z /. {w -> -w, -w -> w,

> > (Do you mean "purely imaginary variables"?  I don't think we have many
> > quaternions here. :) )

> Yes of course, apoligies. I was studying complex variables for my
> qualifying exams when I wrote this message... :)

Ugh.  Qualifying exams are never a pleasant process (even if you end
up doing well).  Good luck to you!

As for the complex/imaginary thing, that's been a sore spot for me
since way back in high school: in a science quiz bowl competition, we
were asked what kind of solutions a particular quadratic had.  I
quickly found that they were +/- 4 i, so I buzzed in and said, "Two
imaginary solutions."  The judge disqualified my answer, explaining
that the correct answer was "Two complex solutions."  I was rather
annoyed, as you might expect (though my team still won the day).

> All the best with your high energy theory research.

Thanks! :)

						Steuard Jensen