Re: inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59955] Re: [mg59927] inconsistency with Inequality testing and Floor
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is indeed inconsistent but this inconsistency itself is
consistent with the other inconsistencies inherent in the concept of
inexact numbers, e.g.

x<1

False

1-x>0

True

x == 1

True

1-x==0

False

and so on.

You cannot expect inexact numbers, particularly "borderline cases" as
in this example, to obey the usual laws of arithmetic.

Andrzej Kozlowski