Re: Mathematica & Excel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59992] Re: Mathematica & Excel
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:11:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/26/05 at 4:53 AM, steevebrechmann at yahoo.ca (Steeve Brechmann
(schumi)) wrote:

>I want to take some data (a matrix) in excel and bring it to
>Mathematica for some calculations.

>How can i do this ?

Use Import. If you are using the current version of Mathematica then you can read the Excel file directly using

Import[filename, "XLS"]

If you are using an earlier version of Mathematica (I don't remember exactly what version of Mathematica first gained the ability to read/write Excel files directly) then you will need to save the file as a tab separated file or comma separated file from Excel and then use

Import[filename, "CSV"] for comma separated values and
Import[filename, "Table"] for tab separated values

If you do need to save the file from Excel in something other than the native format, be careful about rounding. If a fixed point disply in Excel is being used and you export to comma separated values, the output will be as displayed which can cause information loss. This is not an issue when reading the native Excel files directly with the current version of Mathematica.