Re: Re: Types in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62699] Re: [mg62636] Re: Types in Mathematica
  • From: "Virgilio, Vincent - SSD" <Vincent.Virgilio at itt.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 00:46:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I like this idea.

Does the mathematical/algebraic "programming" style scale up to large
problems?  Are there examples?

Or perhaps it doesn't strictly scale, but is better applied judiciously.
It could be used to steer a code at a very high level, or conversely,
used in the gaps (the Mathematica-in-the-gaps argument).  Conventional
programming would make up the difference.

If indeed mathematical programming is not the silver-bullet paradigm,
where should the conventional (though modern) programming be done?
Within or without Mathematica?  If within, then we've circled back to an
important point of this thread, I think.

Vince Virgilio