Re: Programmatic Search and Replace

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62712] Re: Programmatic Search and Replace
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 05:53:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Yasvir A. Tesiram wrote:

> G'day,
> Try running klipper or some similar utility. By habit, I use the middle
> mouse button to paste, and so had never encountered what you'd
> described. I was able to reproduce the "hang" using the key strokes as you
> detail. Running klipper solves it. Tested on fvwm, GNOME and KDE.

I was running klipper, but I had not fiddled with the settings. After your
suggestion I made a few changes, and now I can paste using the key combos.
I can't say exactly what I changed, because I can't seem to get it back to
the errant configuration.  At least not without restarting X.

I've been having another problem since I changed the klipper settings.  Now
when I paste, I often lose focus in the notebook, and the only thing I have
found that gives it back is to click with the mouse.  That was the whole
reason for my not using button 2 in the first place.  I don't like taking
my hands of the keyboard.  If I could find a way to code button 2 into a
key chord, I would be quite happy.
>> I tried it under fvwm and the same thing happens.  I copy some text out
>> of the
>> notebook, Ctrl+F, Shift+Insert, and it locks up.  When I did a RMC, the
>> pointer became confined to the notebook rectangle, and I lost all other
>> HID access to the machine.
> Yes, its odd. I assume its related to the Find form not knowing what
> Shift+Insert means.

Strange that Klipper fixes that - I think; sort of.  Perhaps it has to do
with what is in the buffer Shift+Insert is pulling from?

I've been told by WRI techsupport that new and wonderful things are in the
works regarding the FrontEnd.  No one is saying much more.

The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: