Re: Types in Mathematica thread

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62891] Re: Types in Mathematica thread
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:04:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2005, at 19:25, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
>>> Well, actually the proofs for E and Pi are quite different.
>> I believe you can derive Pi from E, so it should be possible to
>> prove the
>> former from the latter.
> I have decided to give up discussing computer science issues (see
> last remark at the  bottom) but this is a different matter. "Derive
> Pi form E"? What on earth can you mean? Are you by any chance
> referring to something like the Euler formula:
> Exp[I Pi]==-1.

> In that case would you say that you can also "derive" I form Pi and
> E? What do you mean by deriving a number from another number?

I meant to say that Pi can be defined in terms of E.  I am assuming the
definition of complex numbers as a prerequisite.  It's something that's
been in the back of my mind for quite some time.

Not @ Element[1 + I*(Cos[Pi/7]^2 + Sin[Pi/7]^2 - 1), Complexes]

> Do you still claim that
>> Thus RealQ might
>> test for everything that is a number, and not Complex.

The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: