Re: Skewness problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62975] Re: [mg62944] Skewness problem
  • From: leigh pascoe <leigh at cephb.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:39:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Klaus G. wrote:

>Skewness[ {0, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 1}] results in -1.04137.
>
>Reversing the data to {1,4,5...} I expected a different skewness,
>because the "tails" are reversed.
>But again I get -1.04137.
>Is there an error in reasoning?
>
>Klaus G.

Dear Klaus,

This is not really the case. If I understand your question correctly you
are interested in the skewness of a sample of data points. The skewness
is a property of the sample and not the order in which you write the
points. It is determined by how many points are less than or greater
than the mean and by how much. Look at the definition of skewness and
you will see it is independent of the order of the data points.

LP