Re: Types in Mathematica, a practical example

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62948] Re: [mg62800] Types in Mathematica, a practical example
  • From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 05:10:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2005, at 22:11, Ingolf Dahl wrote:
>
>> I feel it as a round-about way to solve the problem.
>> Andrzej Kozlowski, who suggests such a solution, thinks that I am
>> looking at
>> Mathematica from the wrong view point. It is my strong belief that one
>> should be able, especially when mathematics is involved, to observe
>> from as
>> many different view points as possible. An item is not really
>> beautiful, or
>> properly designed, if it is not beautiful from all view points.

Hi Ingolf,

Then again beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. I mean an
artist can put a bucket and pail of water and call it installation art,
but that does not really take away from what it is and what it is used
for. I concur with Andrzej, Mathematica (lets leave mathematics aside
for now) allows one to solve problems using different approaches, but
what is the best way is a matter of taste and experience, and to some
degree competence in the sciences (the latter quality I am begining to
appreciate after using Mathematica for about a year now) . And to your
problem of using the lawsofcosines and sines essentially is a algebraic
problem which can be solved using Solve, Reduce, but as to how you do it
is IMHO irrelevant. That is, how you input the variables and such (I
think thats where this type business comes in). Again reitereate my
impression of Mathematica as a R&D tool, which probably does not lend it
self well to making some applications user friendly or interactive.

As to your proposal of using undefined, if I am not mistaken, undefined
is already taken :-) .I think it means expressions such as 0/0 or
inf/inf (that is in mathematics ofcourse not in CS)

clearing subscripted variables last june, here is the thread anyway,
might be useful for your application
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_frm/thread/c0dba6e4ca2d7700/759cf4eee37247ab?q=Clear+Subscripted+Variables&rnum=1#759cf4eee37247ab

Best Regards,

Pratik

--
Pratik Desai

...Moderation, as well as Regularity of Thinking, so much to be wished for in the Heads of those who imagine they come into the World only to watch and govern it?s Motion
Gulliver's Travels
by Jonathan Swift