Re: A list of numbers without "73"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63022] Re: A list of numbers without "73"
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:56:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/10/05 at 6:03 AM, thomas.??? at balliol.ox.ac.uk (Thomas
Schmelzer) wrote:

>S(i) should be a list of positive integers without the substring
>"73".

>My code seems to be very inefficient. I multiply all numbers with 0
>if they contain "73", sort the new list, make the union (remove
>double elements) and delete the first element. Therefore it is
>necessary to use an if statement in order not to delete the first
>element of the numbers 1-9. Any more sophisticated ideas?

>L := Table[k, {k, 1, 9}]

>Delete[Union[
>Table[k*(1 - Boole[StringMatchQ[ToString[k], "*73*"]]), {k,
>10^(i - 1), 10^i - 1}]], 1]]

It appears you want to generate a list of positive integers between 1 and 10^n - 1 with all integers having the sequence 73 being deleted. If so, a simpler approach would be

s[n_]:=
Select[Range[10^n-1], !StringMatchQ[ToString@#, "*73*"]&]

checking that this works as intended

In[55]:= Complement[Range[999], s[3]]