Re: Remote Mathematica kernels and SSH password

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63091] Re: Remote Mathematica kernels and SSH password
  • From: Chris Rodgers <rodgers at physchem.NOSPAMox.aREMOVEc.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:35:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Mathematica starts connecting (I can see the 'sshd' process running on
> the remote machine), but seems to get stuck on the "Password: "
> prompt.
>
> Is there some way to make Mathematica ask for my password when logging on?
> Or what can I change in the remote machine?

The simplest solution when you want SSH logins to happen transparently
in the background is to make a public key, install it on the server and
then use the public key to login instead of your password. The benefit
of this is that a program such as ssh-agent (Linux/Unix) or pageant
(Windows) can ask for your password ONCE when you log in and then
(effectively) securely hand it on to other programs that need it until
you log out.

See e.g. http://mah.everybody.org/docs/ssh or
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.55/htmldoc/Chapter9.html for details.

I hope this helps,