Re: Can I define 0^0 to be 1 for a notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63174] Re: Can I define 0^0 to be 1 for a notebook
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:22:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/15/05 at 6:07 AM, thomas.??? at balliol.ox.ac.uk (Thomas
Schmelzer) wrote:

>If I enter 0^0 Mathematica keeps teeling me that this is an
>indeterminate expression. Can I define for a single notebook the rule
>"0^0 = 1?" How to do that?

This can be accomplished as follows:

Unprotect[Power]
Power[0,0]=1
Protect[Power]

This technique can be used to modify the output from virtually any built in Mathematica function. However, modifying built in functions is generally not a good idea and will likely lead to unexpected (and possibly incorrect) results.