Re: Solve Limitations

In article <dnrcfl$khv$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at umbc.edu>
wrote:

> To state the obvious, in general roots of analytic functions are hard to
> find. I had the misfoutune to come across a nasty complex trancendental
> equation. I found this Fortran Code ZEAL (Zeros of Analytic Functions)
> quite invaluable. Needless to say, Solve, Reduce did not help much.
> http://cpc.cs.qub.ac.uk/summaries/ADKW_v1_0.html
>
> A Mathematica implimentation of this software would come a long way in
> helping us poor engineers deal with such trancendental equations. The
> system that I was dealing with has obvious practical significance, the
> only hinderance being the lack of tools such as root solvers such as
> ZEAL. Any takers??
>
> PS: Zeal not only can find the zeros of f(z) but also gives one the
> values for f(z) with high degre of precision

Have a look at the RootSearch package by Ted Ersek:

  http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4482/

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul