FindMinimum with list arguments

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg63340] FindMinimum with list arguments
  • From: Ken Turkowski <turk at>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:19:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've having a hard time using FindMinimum with arguments that are lists
/ arrays / matrices. I hope that I don't have to flatten them out. Could
you help me?

I've got 11 images, each with their own {pan,tilt,roll}
plus a {center, focalLength} which is shared amongst them,
and I'd like to optimize an objective function by varying these
parameters. Here's what I put together:

   AlignmentError[orientation, intrinsics],
   {  {orientation, initOrientation},
      {intrinsics, initIntrinsics}

where the initializers are something like
initOrientation = {
   {-1.5, 0, 0},
   {-1.4, 0, 0},
initIntrinsics = { 0, 0, 0.64 }

but I get error messages. However, when I call

I get a nice scalar, 0.34908.

How can I formulate things so I can get an optimum? I have 36 variables
in the above description (my real problem has a few more); do I need to
generate variable names for each one, or is there some way I can use the
above vectors and matrices as arguments?

Ken Turkowski