Re: Questions regarding MatrixExp, and its usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg63344] Re: [mg63335] Questions regarding MatrixExp, and its usage
  • From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:02:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

michael_chang86 at hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>For any arbitrary (possibly complex-valued) square matrix A,
>Mathematica enables the computation of the matrix exponential of A via
>
>In[1]:  A={{ some square matrix}};
>In[2]:  expA=MatrixExp[A];
>
>I was therefore wondering if
>
>MatrixExp[A p]==(MatrixExp[A]^p)
>
>where 'p' is an arbitrary complex number, and the '^' operator is my
>attempt to denote the matrix power, and *not* an element-by-element
>power for each individual matrix entry.  Or does such an expression
>only hold for real-valued square A matrices?  Or am I completely lost
>here ...?
>
>As usual, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael

How about MatrixPower
matx[A_?MatrixQ, p_]=MatrixPower[MatrixExp[A], p]

Hope this helps

Pratik

--
Pratik Desai

...Moderation, as well as Regularity of Thinking, so much to be wished for in the Heads of those who imagine they come into the World only to watch and govern it?s Motion
Gulliver's Travels
by Jonathan Swift