Re: Question regarding procedures

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg63428] Re: [mg63422] Question regarding procedures
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:40:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

It is a little difficult to fathom exactly what you are trying to achieve
here. On the other hand it is just the kind of thing I would fall into when
I first started with Mathematica.

In any case, it looks like you want a routine where you can supply different
functions that will be evaluated. The method for doing that is to use pure
functions. You can find these under Programming, Functional Programming in
the Help Browser. So you might use something like the following...

create[f_][x_] := f[x]

create[#^2 &][3]

create[#^3 &][3]

Or you could write the fuller form of a Function

create[Function[x, x^3]][3]

I don't think you would have to use a Module here. Also your func definition
wouldn't need the {} parentheses, and x doesn't even appear on the rhs. And
why Print the result when you could just get it as normal output?

David Park
djmp at

From: Dew 001 [mailto:dewdrops001 at]
To: mathgroup at

I am relatively new to Mathematica and have the following question:
I created a procedure where the value of fitn_ comes from the user ...

create [fitn_]:=Module[{func },

And called it with the following command:

I was hoping to get a 9 .. and if create[x^3] is entered I hoped to get back

Any ideas?

Thanks very much