Exponentials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53867] Exponentials
  • From: Bruce Colletti <vze269bv at verizon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:08:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Re Mathematica 5.1 under WinXP Home.

When I enter Product[x^t[k], {k, 1, 3}] the result is as expected, x^(t[1]+t[2]+t[3]).

However, when the upper limit is the uninstantiated variable n, the output is the input itself, i.e., Product[x^t[k], {k, 1, n}].

What I want is x^Sum[t[k],{k,1,n}].

Although I can easily get this using patterns, is there a simpler way that uses some option (in Simplify or FullSimplify) or some other command?

Thanks.

Bruce