Re: Finding extra digit

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg54001] Re: [mg53955] Finding extra digit
  • From: yehuda ben-shimol <benshimo at>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:45:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm not sure if you are looking for the first different digit or all of
them, but the following will give you the second option
For example (be careful, this holds only if both n1 and n2 have the same
number of digits)
n1 = 111111111111111122222334;
n2 = 111111111511111122222334;
Position[MapThread[Equal, IntegerDigits /@ {n1, n2}], False] // Flatten
Will give you all the locations of different digits (in base 10).
For the specific example it will be {10} (the 10'th digit is different).