Re: Using Select with arrays? (Relative newbie)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54249] Re: Using Select with arrays? (Relative newbie)
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:50:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

data={
      {1,1,string1,c,d} ,
      {1,2,string2,c,d} ,
      {1,3,string3,c,d} ,
      {1,4,string4,c,d},
       {2,1,string1,c,d},
       {2,2,string2,c,d} ,
      {3,1,string3,c,d} ,
      {4,1,string2,c,d},
       {4,2,string4,c,d}};

To select by value of first position

Select[data,First[#]==1&]

{{1, 1, string1, c, d}, {1, 2, string2, c, d},
  {1, 3, string3, c, d}, {1, 4, string4, c, d}}

To select ALL members of subset with with specified value in first position
and maximum value in second position

pickMax2[data_, firstVal_] := Module[{t},
      Select[
        t=Select[data,First[#]==firstVal&],

The result is a list of lists since there presumably could be more than one

pickMax2[data,1]

{{1, 4, string4, c, d}}

pickMax2[data,#]& /@ Range[Max[data[[All,1]]]]

{{{1, 4, string4, c, d}}, {{2, 2, string2, c, d}},
  {{3, 1, string3, c, d}}, {{4, 2, string4, c, d}}}

Bob Hanlon