Re: Re: Re: Re: Bug Report - Two numerical values for a same variable
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg54411] Re: [mg54350] Re: [mg54300] Re: [mg54271] Re: Bug Report - Two numerical values for a same variable
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
- Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:08:28 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Mathematics & Statistics, Univ. of Mass./Amherst
- References: <00ed01c512b0$2f242850$6400a8c0@Main> <email@example.com> <200502150438.XAA29728@smc.vnet.net> <200502161936.OAA19223@smc.vnet.net> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <opsmcn3rqciz9bcq@monster> <email@example.com> <opsmcqckt8iz9bcq@monster> <200502190731.CAA06012@smc.vnet.net>
- Reply-to: murray at math.umass.edu
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I understand everything you say. Here's the crux, I think, of my not
being able to "rationalize" Mathematica's definition of what is or is
not an atom:
Why is FullForm[2 + 3 I] not Plus[2, Times[3, I]]?
Why is FullForm[2/3] not Times[2, Power[3, -1]] ?
My suspicion is that this was simply a design decision made for reasons
of efficiency, and that therefore not much more can be said about it.
That's what makes it hard for me to swallow and explain to others.
P.S. Unlike some others, I have no difficulty with Mathematica counting
such things as Complex[E, Pi] as meaningless (although syntactically
Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Complex[Pi,E] does not have any meaning in Mathemaitca at all. Neither
> does Complex[Sqrt,Sqrt] etc. Complex[a,b] only has a meaning when
> a and b are real numbers (exact or approximate).
> Of course all of these statements refer to the design of the language.
> To me they seem perfectly logical and natural. To you presumably not.
> Well, then there is nothing else to say.
Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305
Prev by Date:
Re: Elegant syntax for multiple conditional assignment?
Next by Date:
Re: Leading Zeros? (question rephrased)
Previous by thread:
Re: Re: Re: Bug Report - Two numerical values for a same variable
Next by thread:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bug Report - Two numerical values for a same variable