Re: problems plotting a derivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54530] Re: [mg54479] problems plotting a derivative
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:24:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This works:

f[x_] := 2*x^3;
ParametricPlot[Evaluate[
     {D[f[x], x], x^2}], {x, 0, 1}];

and this works:

{D[f[x], x], x^2};
ParametricPlot[%, {x, 0, 1}];

Both methods require x being an undefined symbol (it can't have a value).

You may have tried this, which DOESN'T work:

ParametricPlot[{Evaluate@D[f[x], x], x^2}, {x, 0, 1}]

That doesn't work, because D[f[x],x] isn't the Held argument of ParametricPlot; the List that contains it is Held, so Evaluate (in that example) isn't reached until x has a value, and D complains that you're differentiating with respect to a constant.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net