Graphic resizing problem Linux notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54583] Graphic resizing problem Linux notebook
  • From: Chris Carlen <crcarle at BOGUS.sandia.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:12:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings:

I am using Mathematica 5.0.1.0 on Suse 9.1.  Most of the following strangeness
happened with Mathematica 4.x versions as well.  Anything specific to the most
recent version will be noted.

Here is the problem which has always happened with all Mathematica versions and
still occurs:

When I click on a graphic such as a plot output, Mathematica should highlight
the graphic with a bounding box, and supply anchors with which to resize
the graphic.

The box and anchors should remain *indefinitely* until I click somewhere
else to signify that I'm done.

Instead, the selected state of the graphic disappears in about 2
seconds, so it is too quick to get a hold of one of the anchors to resize.

In prior Mathematica versions there was a trick that would make it possible to
deal with this short-lived bounding box problem:  I could right-click on
the graphic, which would make a menu appear.  Left-clicking would then
make the menu disappear, and the bounding box would reappear, but this
time it would persist like it should.  Then I could resize the graphic
as desired.

What is different now in Mathematica 5.0.1.0 is that the menu no longer appears
when I right-click.  Is this menu *supposed* to be there?  Why might it
not be there anymore?

Has anyone else noticed this sort of behavior?

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks.
Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist