Simplify and Abs

Hi,

can it really be that this is already beyond Mathematica?

    In :=  FullSimplify[Abs[p - 1], p < 1 && p > 1/2]

    Out := Abs[-1 + p]

How do I make Matheamtica notice, that the assumptions constrain the
argument of Abs[] to positive values?

Any suggestions how to treat these kinds of problems? Specifically, I
have a list of products of absolute values of simple polynomials in p
and I know that p is in the interval [0,1].

I would like to know whether the polynomials have constant sign over the
interval so that the Abs[] can be removed. Can this be done automatically?

TIA
   Simon