Re: pattern matching all list elements but last

On 2/23/05 at 3:11 AM, hanlonr at cox.net (Bob Hanlon) wrote:

>ls={{1},{2,3},{4,5,6},{7,8,9,10}};

>ls /. {a___,b_Integer} :> {Sequence@@({a}+100),b}

>{{1},{102,3},{104,105,6},{107,108,109,10}}

Hmm... Although I consider myself reasonably proficient with Mathematica, it would not have occurred to me to use pattern matching for this problem. Instead, I would have done

{Sequence@@(Most@#+100),Last@#}&/@ls

which results in the same output.

This raises an interesting question. In general, which approach to a problem gives better performance? Pattern matching or the more functional approach?