Re: Mathematica batch file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54716] Re: Mathematica batch file
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:27:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Len Kofman wrote:
> I have created a very large notebook in mathematica under the windows
> environment.  I know want to take the file and put it into a text file
> to use in unix mode.  I tried the save as specail (text) option but it
> did not run in UNIX mode.
>
> Is there a simple way or will i have retype the entire program?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Len

Len,

I assume you want to convert your notebook into a .m file - which is a
simple text file. You can do this by setting all the cells you want to
save (which need not be the entire notebook) to be 'initialization
cells' and then using the options inspector to set the notebook option
AutoGeneratedPackage to Automatic, After all that, every time you save
the notebook, the corresponding .m file will be saved as well.

There seem to be a few residual bugs in this mechanism where you have
very complicated box structures, but I must say, I still find it the
most convenient way to prepare .m files.

David Bailey
dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk