Re: Simplify and Abs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg54728] Re: Simplify and Abs
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:27:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> Strangely, though, the docs for version 5.1 say:
>
>    FunctionExpand is automatically called by FullSimplify

Similarly, Refine is automatically called by Simplify. And, as I already
pointed out, when specifically used, Refine also yields 1-p.

Perhaps what seems strange is that neither Simplify nor FullSimplify yields
1-p in this problem. But that behavior is understandable when one realizes
that LeafCount[1-p] is 5, its FullForm being Plus[1, Times[-1, p]], whereas
LeafCount[Abs[p-1]] is only 4.

Does anyone have a clever way to make Mathematica treat both p-1 and 1-p
as though they had LeafCount = 3 when simplifying?

By the way, this discussion brings to light another way to solve the
problem: Just write "one" instead of "1"!

In[3]:= Simplify[Abs[p - one], p < one && p > 1/2]

Out[3]= one - p

David Cantrell