Re: Partial evaulation of function terms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53256] Re: [mg53230] Partial evaulation of function terms
  • From: yehuda ben-shimol <benshimo at bgu.ac.il>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 04:29:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Erich,
Since Mathematica works with expressions of the form Head[Body] the
ParFun[{1,1/2},220] is only the head.
I couldn't figure out how to get the desired effect elegantly without
entering t to the list of argument or remove it totally from the list of
argument (both yield the same result).
Try to enter t a an argument
ParFun[amps_, freq_, t_] := Sum[amps[[i]]*Sin[2*Pi*freq*
  i*t], {i, Length[amps]}]
Then
ParFun[{1, 1/2}, 220, t] // InputForm
Will yield

Sin[440*Pi*t] + Sin[880*Pi*t]/2

For the second possibility omit t from the list of arguments
ParFun[amps_,freq_]:=Sum[amps[[i]] Sin[2 Pi freq i t],{i,Length[amps]}]
will do the same
but here you must avoid defining or using t prior to this definition

yehuda