importing mat format doesn't import variable names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53466] importing mat format doesn't import variable names
  • From: Ben Barrowes <barrowes at alum.mit.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:12:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is a very responsive ng. Thanks!

When I Import["file","MAT"] files, the variable name information is
lost. Is this the normal behavior? Or is there a switch I can specify to
import the variable names as well?

For example, if file.mat has two variables, foo (3x3) and bar (3x3), and
I Import it, all I get is 1 nested List for a result.
However, they are simply numbers with no names associated with the list.

I know I could do:
{foo,bar}=Import["file.mat","MAT"];

but I was wondering if there was a way to Import variable names without
specifying them explicitly. The information is in the .mat file. Why
doesn't Mathematica extract it?

Similarly, when I Export a matrix into a mat file, will the variable
name be lost?

Ben Barrowes