symbolic complex expressions

Hi,

I've 2 question with mathematica using symbolic complex expressions.

- Is there a possibility to make from i.e. |x + I y| -> sprt(x^2+y^2)
if x and y are Real. Abs[] doesn't work?

- You've a fraction like this x/(x + I y) and you want to eliminate
the complex expression in the denominator.
i.e. doing something like this: x/(x + Iy)*(x - I y)/(x - I y) -> (x^2
- I x y)/(x^2+y^2)

How do you do this with mathematica?

Thanks,

Frank