Re: TableForm and MatrixForm

On 1/20/05 at 3:48 AM, jerry.blimbaum at navy.mil (Blimbaum, Jerry AA
R22) wrote:

>A recent question about outputting the following table as a 3 col
>matrix

>Table[{Sin[x],Cos[y],Sin[x]*Cos[y]},{y,0,2},{x,0,3}];

>gave 2 responses.....

>Flatten[data,1]//MatrixForm

>Flatten[data,1]//TableForm

>The output of these 2 is quite dissimilar....MatrixForm puts a
>parentheses around the table and centers the expressions on each
>line....whereas TableForm doesn't output parentheses nor does it
>center the expressions on each line.....Is this intentional or an
>oversight?

Yes, this is intentional. MatrixForm is intended to display a matrix in traditional notation which would include parantheses as you describe. TableForm is intended to present the data in a table and should not add paramtheses

>.....I dont like the parentheses but I dont like the
>expressions not centered on the column either....

The use TableForm[data, TableAlignments->Center] rather than the postfix form.

Personally, I prefer to have my default output set to TraditionalForm so that a matrix displays with the parantheses automatically without my needing to use MatrixForm. This is particularly useful in that I don't have to remember to remove the Head MatrixForm before using the results in subsequent computations.