Re: TableForm and MatrixForm

Blimbaum, Jerry AA R22 wrote:
> A recent question about outputting the following table as a 3 col matrix
>
> Table[{Sin[x],Cos[y],Sin[x]*Cos[y]},{y,0,2},{x,0,3}];
>
> gave 2 responses.....
>
> Flatten[data,1]//MatrixForm
>

> Flatten[data,1]//TableForm
>
> The output of these 2 is quite dissimilar....MatrixForm puts a
> parentheses around the table and centers the expressions on each
> line....whereas TableForm doesn't output parentheses nor does it center
> the expressions on each line.....Is this intentional or an
> oversight?.....I dont like the parentheses but I dont like the
> expressions not centered on the column either....
>

> Jerry blimbaum

Hi,

I don't get centering with either form, but you can get what you want with:

GridBox[Map[ToBoxes[#] &, Flatten[data, 1], {2}]] // DisplayForm

The GridBox has all sorts of options, and you can nest StyleBox objects
inside it so that you can output an array as a table with bold headings
and lines as a grid, or just marking off the headings. If you are
interested in the exact appearance of your output, this is definitely
the way to do it.

David Bailey
dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk