  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg53682] Superellisoid
  • From: Damon LePleur <nunthee at>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:52:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Thanks for reading this. I'm a graphic artist I'm trying to get a
functional notebook for exporting a superellipsoid object out to a
..dxf format. I can produce the object in Pov-Ray and paste it into my
work as a graphic file but I would like to be able to manipulate it
directly in a 'manageable' program such as make use of .obj and .dxf

the pov source code says:

*    Superellipsoids are defined by the implicit equation
*      f(x,y,z) = (|x|^(2/e) + |y|^(2/e))^(e/n) + |z|^(2/n) - 1
*    Where e is the east/west exponent and n is the north/south

what that means I can't imagine, the objects in Pov are pre-computed
and it's always been nice to just be able to type the code as :

superellipsoid {<3, 3> pigment { Red } scale 2}

hit 'render' and out it pops. this makes the shape I desire as at

I can then duplicate and manipulate the object, but POV lacks a lot of
the options I like now in other programs such as Bryce and Cinema 4D,
so I want this object.

Can someone help? My wife has a copy of Mathematica at Vanderbilt but
I'm not able to really fiddle with it much and that's all I can do is
fiddle, I'm not any good with math at all, I just need this 'simple'

Thanks in advance for your help, I have finally managed to export
objects to .dxf after what took forever for me to figure out the
program. Thanks again I appreciate and admire your expertise.

Steve Bennett
sdbennett at comcast.not