How to make 3d map w/ data?

Hi all,

I have a black and white map (.gif format), with a bunch of countries
on it. I also have a bunch of data regarding the average income of each
state.

I'd like to combine the 2, resulting in a 3d map, with the third
dimension, height, being the amount of income in each state.

Hopefully that makes sense...

Is this possible/reasonable/feasible to do with Mathematica? If so,
how? If not, what would be a better tool to use?
Thanks for any suggestions!