Why IntervalBisection can't operate on InterpolatingFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53697] Why IntervalBisection can't operate on InterpolatingFunction
  • From: "scaie scaie" <scqxaie at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:37:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

  Sir or Ms.

  After I NDSolve an ODE with an initial
  condition, I get a function represented by InterpolatingFunction. I
  plot it in a domain and find that there are a few roots. You know that
  if I directly FindRoot I could only get one root at most. So, I load
  the IntervalRoots package and want to IntervalBisection to get the
  intervals which contain different roots respectively. But to my
  dispointment, a message tolds me this operation can't be complished.
  That may be caused by InterpolatingFunction is not fit for
  IntervalBisection, right? Dear Sir or Ms, How can I do? How can I get
  the intervals generated by Mathematica instead of manual means by me?
  Or is there another algorithm in Mathematica to get all the roots of an
  InterpolatingFunction in the appointed domain? Warmly waiting for your
  help.

Thanks a lot.scqxaie