Controlling inverses of functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58404] Controlling inverses of functions
  • From: Josef Karthauser <joe at>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 02:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've got some functions (Tensor's actually) which aren't trivially
inverted and I want to either control their inverse form, or prevent
mathematica from inverting them altogether, so that I can use Solve
in safety on expressions containing them.  Is there anyway of doing

For example:

    In: F[a] == F[b] F[c]
    In: Solve[%, F[b]]
    Out: {F[b] -> F[a] / F[c]}

This is incorrect because 1 / F[c] is an invalid statement (as the
inverse isn't defined).  The "correct" answer is that an answer can't be

Any help on this would be wonderful.

Josef Karthauser (joe at
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)
Physics Particle Theory (student)