Set of strings reducing problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg58560] Set of strings reducing problem
  • From: "Edson Ferreira" <edsferr at>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:35:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Mathematica Users,

I have a problem that I haven't got any clue to solve with Mathematica.

Let's say a have a list of "n" equal length strings:

The characters used in strings are only "1", "X", "2", "U", "M", "D" and

What I want is a reduced set of strings (with all the resulting strings
with the same length as all the original ones).

The rule to "join" two strings is the following:

If one string is different from the other by just one character then
take the characters that are different and apply the rule bellow:

"1" + "X" = "D"
"1" + "2" = "M"
"1" + "U" = "T"
"X" + "2" = "U"
"X" + "M" = "T"
"2" + "D" = "T"

For example, suppose I have these two elements in the list : "11112111"
and "1111X111"

The rule will transform these two strings into one : "1111U111"

After all the possible transformations (always using two strings with
only one different character and resulting another string) I will obtain
a reduced set of strings.

How can I do that with mathematica??

I guess the first step is a function to identify is two strings are
different by just one ccharacter.
A loop then search in the set for any ocurrences of that and apply all
possible transformations until we can't get any redution.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

edsferr at